Relaxation Techniques Anxiety

Saturday, June 18, 2016


What Are some relaxation techniques for anxiety?

relaxation techniques anxiety

Yep, that is a panic attack. Are you scared of having another panic attack? How often do you get them? The reason I ask is that there is a distinction between generalized anxiety, where you can get a few panic attacks, and panic disorder, where you get the attacks a lot and don't know why. I suffer from panic disorder myself, so I have to deal with this on a daily basis, but I have gotten much more under control. 

First, you need to go see a psychiatrist (doctor) and a psychologist (therapist). The doctor will be able to diagnose you and tell you if you need any medication to help you for a while. As for me, I'm on an antidepressant that has helped amazingly with panic attacks. Also, I have another drug that helps calm me down if I get one that is going out of control. Then you need a therapist because even if you don't end up taking anything, your real cure lies with what is called cognitive behavior therapy. This works wonders! 

Secondly, research the attacks! Read any books you can get your hands on, and definitely search the internet. A lot of the fear is gone once you realize that these things will not hurt you and you know how to stop them once started. A good book for the cognitive behavior therapy is "the feeling good handbook" by david burns. It helped me a lot. 

Third, breathing exercises and relaxation CDs have helped me a lot. All you do is lay down on your back, put one hand on your stomach and the other hand on your heart and close your eyes. Then take a deep breath in through your nose (using your stomach and not your chest!!! this is VERY important) till you can't anymore, hold it for about 5 seconds, and then slowly breathe out through your nose. Keep doing this and it will calm you right down. Also doing deep muscle relaxation is also good to do on a regular basis to prevent them. 

Panic/anxiety attacks tend to come on because of something you're not expressing emotionally, and it is typically anger. Once I realized that and allowed myself to get angry, the attacks went down a lot. Therapy is definitively a good thing to do with this...it helps most people for good.


Ahhh panic attacks......I was once a pro of these. 

Deep breathing is important...Inhale deeply through the nose to the bottom of your toes, then purse those lips and expel the breath slowly through your mouth FROM the bottom of your toes (as to flicker a candle without blowing it out). While slow breathing concentrate on dropping your shoulders down from around your ears and making your body feel like a limp noodle. 

If your panic attacks include heart palpitations (rapid heart rate) The most helpful technique for me was to walk, even if just around the house, breath as described before while lightly tapping/patting your leg in a steady rhythm to mimic the heart rate. I would gradually slow the rhythm until it was down to my normal rate. Concentrating on performing these tasks together usually brought me down to a level I could deal with. 

Other suggestions are breathing into a paper bag, drinking a large glass of ice water, plunging you hands into ice water and grunting or bearing down as if having a bowel movement. 

I do not fortunately have these attacks like I once did.....for one thing I am older and perhaps a little wiser but wanted you to know where I am now........I have realized: 

First .... if the problems that are causing your anxiety are things you have no control over and you know this, then, half the battle is won. You realize you have no control. This is a good thing. 

Second....whatever is happening that is uncontrollable is 
the result of someone else making the choices. Let them own their own choices. 

Third....you need to know that this too shall pass. 
Remember too, that you are where you need to be today. 

Fourth and most importantly...........PRAY and have faith that if God brings you to it, He will bring you through it. Let go of the things you have no control over and let God do His work.

relaxation technique used in relieving anxiety
thanks for reading...comment bellow and subscribe...
Share on :

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2015 Health Diet and Fitness
Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Design By Herdiansyah Hamzah